SIM encompasses more than 30 specific Learning Strategies that can help students overcome specific learning difficulties that impede literacy, from identifying words in text to completing assignments on time to writing complete essays.
Students use SIM Learning Strategies--an approach to learning and using information--to help them understand information and solve problems. Students who do not know or use good learning strategies often learn passively and ultimately fail in school. SIM Learning Strategy instruction focuses on making students active learners.
One line of SIM Learning Strategies concentrates on helping students improve their reading abilities. It includes strategies for learning how to paraphrase critical information, picture information to promote understanding and remembering, ask questions and make predictions about text information, and identify unknown words in text.
- Fundamentals of Paraphrasing and Summarizing
- Inference Strategy
- Paraphrasing Strategy
- Self-Questioning Strategy
- Visual Imagery Strategy
- Word Identification Strategy
- Word Mapping Strategy
SIM writing strategies help students express themselves. These strategies help students write sentences, paragraphs, and themes and monitor their work for errors.
- EDIT Strategy
- Error Monitoring Strategy
- Fundamentals in the Sentence Writing Strategy
- Fundamentals in the Theme Writing Strategy
- InSPECT Strategy
- Paragraph Writing Strategy
- Proficiency in the Sentence Writing Strategy
These Learning Strategies help students study information once they acquire it. They include strategies for developing mnemonics and other devices to aid memorization of facts as well as strategies for learning new vocabulary. These strategies help prepare students for tests.
- FIRST-Letter Mnemonic Strategy
- LINCS Vocabulary Strategy
- Listening and Note-Taking
- Paired Associates Strategy
SIM Learning Strategies related to performance help students complete daily assignments as well as confidently approach and take tests.
- Assignment Completion Strategy
- Essay Test-Taking Strategy
- Strategic Tutoring
- Test-Taking Strategy
The SIM math strategies cover everything from addition to division. They use a concrete-representational-abstract method of instruction to help students master math.
- Addition Facts 0 to 9
- Addition Facts 10 to 18
- Addition with Regrouping
- Division Facts 0 to 81
- Multiplication Facts 0 to 81
- Place Value: Discovering Tens and Ones
- Subtraction Facts 0 to 9
- Subtraction Facts 10 to 18
- Subtraction with Regrouping
SIM includes several series that help students participate effectively in class, work together in teams, organize their desks or lockers, and interact with each other.
- Community Building Series
- Focusing Together
- Following Instructions Together
- Organizing Together
- Taking Notes Together
- Talking Together
- Cooperative Thinking Strategies
- BUILD Strategy
- LEARN Strategy
- SCORE Skills
- Teamwork Strategy
- THINK Strategy
- SLANT: A Starter Strategy for Class Participation